Monday, November 26, 2012

Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2010


Before I go to the actual review please see my rider profile below:


Rider Profile

  • Start riding: 2010
  • Type of riding: Commuting from/to home/work around ~60km a day, endurance and century riding on the weekend.
  • Speed: Slow-moderate 24-28kmh flats, 32-35kmh sprint and peloton riding, 14-16kmh climbing.
  • Road condition: Bike path, rough surface and rarely smooth with a lot of tree drops and branches especially during winter and wet season.
  • Climb condition: Short climb less than a kilometer with 2-14% gradient.
  • Age: 29
  • Height: 170cm
  • Weight: 74kg
  • Bikes ridden: Giant CRX-3, Giant TCR Advanced 1 & 2 2010, Merida Reacto 909 2011, Specialized Roubaix S-Works SL3 2011.
  • Riding goal: Fitness, endurance riding.
  • Profession: Website and SharePoint developer and consultant. I carry my laptop everywhere.
  • Location: Perth, Western Australia.
  • Sex: Male

Mavic Ksyrium Elite 2010 Review

This wheelset came with my Giant TCR Advanced 1 2010 Ultegra bike. When I first bought this bike I was so green in cycling. Some people argued with me saying that with my cycling experience and knowledge and skills at the time, the bike was too good for me. I agreed with them however I had this principal that I may as well buy a bike that is good and capable enough so that I don't have to buy another one when my skill increases. I have proven myself wrong by the way. I have now changed my bike twice since.

Anyway, the Ksyrium Elite wheelset was an awesome wheelset. It is so light and after I read more about it, the price isn't that expensive either.

Braking surface is good even in the rain. It is also stiff.

What I don't like from it is how uncomfortable it can become. It transfers road vibrations and bumps quiet much. Maybe it's caused by the alloy rims and spokes?

Under a huge head, side and yaw wind, this wheelset isn't as stable as my other two wheelsets, Mavic R-SYS SL and Shimano Dura-Ace C35, especially when ridden on slow-moderate speed, it wobbles a little bit.

Climbing however feels a lot easier. Comparing to my Dura-Ace C35, this wheelset feels easier to climb with. It doesn't mean that I go faster with the Ksyrium though, it's just I can climb easier hence less stress on my legs.

Conclusion

As I mention in the rider profile, I don't race nor ride fast. I only commute to work and this wheelset is appropriate for that. It's strong, durable and light.

3 comments:

  1. Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
    carbon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta most loved this site it appears to be exceptionally useful . Carbon Road Bicycle Wheels

    ReplyDelete
  3. I respect this article for the all around scrutinized content and superb wording. I got so included in this material that I couldn't quit perusing. I am inspired with your work and expertise. Much thanks to you to such an extent. carbon bike wheels

    ReplyDelete